Activists Prepare New Gaza Flotilla

Pro-Palestinian activists are in the final stages of organizing a sea convoy to Gaza that will likely be much bigger than a similar flotilla that was raided by Israeli forces last year, according to organizers. The campaign sets up the possibility of another showdown with Israel, which eased its land blockade of Gaza following the international furor over last May’s raid that left nine activists dead, as it gears up to thwart any attempt to breach its blockade off the Gaza coast. Eight Turks and one Turkish-American died in the botched commando operation on a Turkish boat, the Mavi Marmara, which was part of the flotilla in May 2010. The incident drew world attention to the humanitarian situation in Gaza and sent ties between former allies Israel and Turkey plummeting to a new low. Activists on the boat said they acted in self-defense in international waters during the melee, but Israel said troops opened fire after coming under assault by men with clubs and axes as they rappelled from helicopters during the nighttime raid onto the ship’s deck. Seven Israeli soldiers were wounded.

Hüseyin Oruç, a spokesman for İHH, an Islamic aid group that operates the Mavi Marmara, said an international coalition of 22 non-governmental groups hope to send 15 vessels with up to 1,500 people in this year’s flotilla. Last year, six ships and about half that number participated. The target date for the departure of the new flotilla is the first anniversary of the raid, May 31, but it could be delayed, partly because it clashes with campaigning for Turkey’s election on June 12. Organizers said the new effort included activists from Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, Latin America, Canada and the United States. The Foundation for Human Rights and Freedoms and Humanitarian Relief, or IHH, conducts many of its regional missions to help Palestinian refugees. Israel has accused the group of terrorist links, though it is not on a U.S. list of terrorist organizations.

hurriyetdailynews.com / 27.4.2011

İnsan Hak ve Hürriyetleri İnsani Yardım Vakfı (İHH) Genel Başkanı Avukat Bülent Yıldırım, düzenlediği basın toplantısında, Gazze Şeridi’ne uygulanan İsrail ambargosunu delmeyi amaçlayan ikinci Gazze filosunda, Mavi Marmara dâhil 15 geminin bulunacağını söyledi.

Filonun 22 kuruluş tarafından organize edildiğini, 20 bin kuruluş tarafından da desteklendiğini belirten Yıldırım, gemilerde 100’den fazla ülkeden 1500 aktivistin bulunmasının planlandığını ifade etti. Yıldırım, gemideki aktivistlerin tamamen sivil olacağının altını çizerek, “Gemide bir çakı bile bulunmayacak” dedi. Kendilerine Yahudi gönüllülerden hatta İsrailli milletvekillerinden çok fazla başvuru geldiğinin altını çizerek, bu başvuruların tamamına olumlu yanıt verseler, gemilerde başka kimseye yer kalmayacağını söyledi.

Yıldırım, “Bu kez sadece Gazze için değil uluslararası hukuku yeniden tesis etmek için gidiyoruz, insanlık için gidiyoruz” dedi. İsrail’e bu kez geçen seferkinden daha akıllı olmasını ve filonun yolunu açmasını tavsiye eden Yıldırım, “İzan sahibiyseniz ilerlememize izin verirsiniz. Bizi durdurmak için yapacağınız her şey size zarar verecektir. Bu filoyu en az zararla atlatmaya bakın, hiç dokunmayın. Bir kez daha müdahale ederseniz, yine günlerce haber olursunuz” uyarısında bulundu.

Taksim’de 30 Mayıs günü saat 21.00’da geçen yılki Mavi Marmara baskınının yıldönümünde yapacakları mitinge 100 bin kişinin katılması beklediklerini söyleyen Yıldırım, Türkiye’den yola çıkan gemilerin diğer ülkelerdeki gemilerle hangi noktada ve ne zaman bir araya geleceğini ve daha sonraki sürecin nasıl ilerleyeceğini de bu mitingde duyuracaklarını ifade etti. Yıldırım, filonun durdurulmasını isteyen ABD’ye “Bu bir sivil toplum girişimidir. Biz karışamayız” diyen Başbakan Recep Tayyip Erdoğan ve Dışişleri Bakanı Ahmet Davutoğlu’na da teşekkür ederek, “Bu yanıt Türkiye’de özgürlüklerin ABD’den ileri olduğunu göstermiş oldu” dedi.

Gazze’ye geçen sene yardım götüren filodaki Mavi Marmara gemisine İsrail askerlerinin düzenlediği baskında dokuz Türk hayatını kaybetmişti. Operasyon nedeniyle uluslararası tepkilerin hedefindeki İsrail ise yeni filoyu durdurmak üzere diplomatik kampanya başlattı.

Hürriyet / 20.5.2011

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s